Monday, August 20, 2007

Weekend to Remember


This past weekend, my wife had given me two tickets to the Cowboy vs Bronco's game in Dallas Texas. I am a huge Dallas Cowboy fan from my childhood. My son and I went to the game, my middle daughter came along with us to Dallas but stayed with other family members while we were at the game.
It was my second game in Texas Stadium. By television, I had watched some of the great NFL players of all time play on that field: Bob Lilly, Roger Stabauch, Tony Dorsett, Emmitt Smith and so many more. For those friends of mine who secretly love the Cowboys too, they did win the game 31-20. Looks like this could be a great season if key players stay healthy.
The best part of my weekend however was not the game. It was being with my children. My wife and I are blessed with 3 beautiful children. They are very sweet (when they are asleep) and obedient (when I carry a big stick) but most of all they love each other. Perhaps that will be the greatest legacy that Michele and I will leave behind is the relationship our children have with each other.
I can tell you it has not been easy work to get them to this point. They each have very different personalities. What one loves the other may not care for at all. Zak loves to read, Amanda loves to sing, Mikah loves to dance and cook pasteries.
Sounds like the perfect Circus doesn't it? I am so thankful that they care for each other. As I look around at the fractured famlies that make up America today, I see a vast sea of lonely people. My prayer is that our kids will always love each other and be there for one another.
No matter how old we get or how far we may move away our siblings can make life a richer blessing or a unbearble burden. I am the oldest of 4 siblings and we are close. It would be great to be closer, but I do know that we love each other. Adversity in our life has revealed that time and again.
This weekend, I saw my children love me and love each other. We went to church together and I saw them love Jesus. What joy! When we decided to move to Austin Texas, my oldest daughter did not have to move it was love of family that caused her to move. What a joy it has been to have her close by her brother and sister dearly love spending time with her.
My oldest daughter no longer lives at home and her siblings and parents miss her. She misses us too and often comes over for dinner. When at home now during the day at times I will hear Zak and Amanda upstairs laughing and playing together it makes me smile.
It is not that they never fight it is that Michele and I raise the value of each child and the value of loving each other. We model it, reward it when we see it and discpline strongly when it is violated.

No comments: